This week is the 16th Annual Food Allergy Awareness Week, from May 14 – 19, 2012. Austin Families with Food Allergies (AFFA) has shared a few ways you can get involved:
Monday, May 14:
- Children’s Art Contest on display at Sunflower Market (William Cannon and Manchaca) through Saturday. Drop in to see the art and stories submitted by AFFA children and their friends.
- Challenge your friends or family to “subtract” an allergen from their diet for a week!
Tuesday, May 15:
- The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network, in cooperation with the Girl Scout Council of the Nation’s Capital (GSCNC), offers the Be a PAL Patch Program. Girl Scouts from any council can earn the patch. Information located on FAAN’s website.
- Food Allergy Awareness Week (FAAW) Twitter Party! RSVP here.
Wednesday, May 16:
- Food Allergy Awareness Day at Natural Grocers (May 16-17, all day).Visit the activity table and mention Austin Families with Food Allergies to receive a prize. 3901 Guadalupe location only.
- Food Allergy Awareness Day at Sunflower Market at Manchaca and William Cannon from 4-5 p.m. Heather Martinson will be teaching a cooking class on how to prepare a meal free of the top 8 allergens, gluten free and vegan.
The menu includes:
Sautéed Kale with bacon & shallots, Pork Tenderloin with apples, onions & a hot mustard sauce, Vegan Baked Rangoon, with Vegan Cookies.
Please RSVP for the class at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, May 17:
- Food Allergy Awareness Day at Natural Grocers (May 16-17, all day). Visit the activity table and mention Austin Families with Food Allergies to receive a prize. 3901 Guadalupe location only.
Friday, May 18:
- Contact your legislators. You can help to get important legislation passed by simply contacting your representatives and asking for their support. Visit www.foodallergy.org for all the information you’ll need to easily do this.
- Read a food allergy story at your local library, go into your child’s classroom, do a social media blitz to your friends, family, co-workers. Visit www.foodallergy.org for video links, story ideas, coloring pages & more.
Saturday, May 19:
- 10:30 a.m. – Food-free Family Story time at the Round Rock Library (216 East Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664). This interactive program includes a variety of activities such as books, fingerplay, music, movies, and puppets.
- “Healthy Gluten-Free Living” Seminar and Health Fair at Natural Grocers (3901 Guadalupe Street). Seminar from 1-2 p.m. and Tasting Fair from 2-5 p.m. Trevida Trevino will be teaching basics for the healthiest approach to gluten/allergen free living with meal planning and shopping tips. Door prizes and free samples!
- Last chance to catch the Art Contest art on display at Sunflower Market.
For more information on Food Allergy Awareness Week, visit the Facebook page here.
Austin Families with Food Allergies is a support group of parents located throughout the Austin-metro area raising children with food allergies. The Austin Walk for Food Allergy is organized by Austin Families with Food Allergies in conjunction with The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN).
FAAN is a non-profit organization that provides services services nationwide, funds research of food allergies and has been at the forefront of progress in food allergy awareness, advocacy, education, and research. Findings from FAAN-sponsored studies have been used to change laws here in Texas, improve school policies, raise public awareness, and provide education for patients, caregivers and health professionals. Funds from programs like the FAAN Walk for Food Allergy support FAAN’s efforts to achieve these feats.