Since 2007, GivingCity has operated under the principle that an informed community can lead to a more vibrant and engaged community. When people have the information and tools they need to understand complex social issues and get involved, they’re more likely to use those tools to make a positive impact on the causes they care about.
Today, GivingCity Austin is a mission-driven, multi-channel media company, publishing and producing online content, live events, and with media partners, print and broadcast content, as well, reaching as many as 40,000 Central Texans. We serve nonprofits from startup to established, social entrepreneurs, volunteers, board members, donors, and the giving community with news and information that informs, inspires, and connects them to social good.
GivingCity is also proud to work alongside Austin’s mission-driven creatives including, journalists, photographers, graphic designers, and web developers. We office at the co-working space, Impact Hub on North Lamar, available by two Cap Metro bus lines.
The Media Entrepreneur intern will experience and contribute to the tasks of growing a grassroots media company while also learning about the nonprofit and social sectors. As a result of this internship, you will be better prepared to seek jobs in publishing, new media, communications, marketing, social enterprise, and nonprofits. As a part-time intern, you would perform some of the following, based on your interest and availability:
> Add 3-5 content pieces a week to GivingCityAustin.com.
> Promote new and evergreen content from GivingCityAustin.com to our social channels.
> Contribute to social media channels by curating content from across the web.
> Build monthly emails to be distributed to opt-in audience.
> Lead our Young Professionals outreach by identifying partner organizations, arranging and attending meetings, and performing a needs assessment to identify how GivingCity can serve them.
> Build and manage database of 100 largest area nonprofits and create outreach materials to ensure we serve their needs.
> Create business development platform from which we can identify prospects for advertising, sponsorships, and marketing partnerships, reach out to them, build and track relationships.
> Serve advertisers with reports and data from Google Analytics about their ad performance.
Plan and support events:
> Participate in event planning meetings, contribute with minor tasks, and possibly attend and support events, if available.
- Be available to work 10-15 hours per week during regular business hours (9 AM – 4 PM) at GivingCity’s Impact Hub space, at events as available, and with possible remote work.
- Be eager to experiment with creative ways of storytelling through video, text, social media and other means. Some stories are assigned, but interns are encouraged to come up with their own story ideas, as well.
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills; photography, graphic design, and video skills would be great, too, but aren’t a requirement.
- Experience with WordPress required.
- Be self-motivated, organized, and able to manage multiple projects at once.
- Have a strong desire to serve the Austin community with the news and information they need to make a difference in the causes they care about.
- Be able to provide their own laptop and transportation.
This internship is unpaid. Applicants must currently be enrolled in college or graduate school and able to receive course credit. We will work with your academic institution to approve course credit for the internship.
To Apply: Interested applicants should first familiarize themselves with GivingCityAustin.com as well as its social media channels. Then please send an email that describes your professional and social interests, your field of study, any past working or volunteer experience, and what interests you most about the internship, with “2018 Internship” in the subject line to Monica Williams at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.