For the past 13 years, Austin Parks Foundation (APF) has been the primary beneficiary of ACL Fest, putting $30 million back into Austin’s parks. And again this year, they will need volunteers to help manage the festival’s signature greening programs, Rock & Recycle and the new Divert It.
APF enhanced its presence at the festival as the presenting sponsor of the Rock & Recycle Program in 2017 and has, in turn, made the festival greener by encouraging recycling. For every participant in the Rock & Recycle program and the brand-new Recycling Tour, APF allocated $5 to their Recycling in Parks initiative, which totaled $16,455. They engaged over 400 volunteers to help accomplish this program and in total they had over 3,400 people engage in their activations over the two ACL weekends in 2017.
The Rock & Recycle Program encourages festival attendees to pick up a bag of recyclables from the grounds in exchange for a specially designed ACL Fest line-up tee. This year, APF will also be the presenting partner of the Divert It! A program, encouraging and educating attendees to divert waste from the festival toward composting efforts. Volunteers will help festival-goers correctly sort materials into compost, recycling, and landfill bins. Participants will be entered for a chance to win a Fairdale bicycle each weekend, and there will be a drawing for a pair of 2019 ACL Fest tickets every night.
Plus, all volunteers get to enjoy the festival before or after their shift! APF will then set aside $5 per participant for the Recycling in Parks initiative, which aims to provide recycling in all of Austin’s 300+ parks.
Applications are now open and will close 9/28. APF encourages everyone to apply.
How To Apply
- Visit the GivePulse group for ACL Fest Greening Programs
- Create an account or log in. Please login rather than creating a new account if you have volunteered with us before. If you do not remember your password, please use the recovery prompts on GivePulse.
- Click the “Become A Member” button at the top of the page.
- Fill in the membership application as thoroughly as possible
- Once you submit your application, our Greening Program Director will review your application and approve or deny your membership.
- If your membership is approved, you’ll be placed into shift(s) and will receive confirmation of your shift(s) by email. Please be sure the email you use to log in to GivePulse is up to date, as all communications leading up to the festival will use this address.
ACL Fest’s signature greening programs
- Rock & Recycle encourages festival attendees to pick up a bag of recyclables from the grounds in exchange for a specially designed ACL Fest line-up tee.
- Divert It! enlists volunteers to encourage and educate fans by helping them compost, recycle and send less waste to landfills.
APF is making the festival greener by encouraging recycling and composting as well as by educating fans about our Recycling in Parks initiative. This year, APF is partnering with the following organizations focused on the environment, public space and community engagement:
- Recycling Tour: In partnership with HOPE (of the HOPE outdoor gallery), APF is placing 12 artist-designed recycling bins throughout the park. Festival attendees can visit each of the 12 bins to learn a little about APF’s recycling efforts, ACL’s greening programs and more.
- Keep Austin Beautiful Relays: Keep Austin Beautiful will teach fans about how litter travels fast in our urban watershed, as well as how to properly recycle and compost with a fun relay race activity.
- Don’t Mess With Texas: TXDOT’s signature litter abatement campaign will have bins on-site to remind festival attendees that our parks, trails, and green spaces are no place for litter.
- Kammok Lounge: This local Austin brand focused on community and the great outdoors, and their passion for gear that promotes access to thriving public green spaces will host festival goers in a shady hammock lounge in partnership with NIDO structures.
- Live Painting with HOPE: The artists that design the 12 recycling tour bins, and a special Rock & Recycle line-up tees will be on-site each day of the festival. Fans can stop by to watch the masters work!